Rossignol XV Magtek Review

Rossignol XV Magtek Review

Size: 159

Rider Weight/Height: 160 lbs 6'0"

Stance: Goofy +12, -9

Boots/Bindings: 32 Scotty Stevens TM-2 Sz 10 | Burton Genesis

Conditions: Dust on crust with firm pack and fast groomers.

Resort: Summit at Snoqualmie | Hyak

If you've ever watched any of Xavier De Le Rue's parts in snowboard films then you know he's one of the gnarliest riders in the world. XV has hit some of the steepest and most technical lines imaginable from Chamonix to The Chugach. Rossignol certainly kept the deep and steep in mind when designing the XV Magtek; a true freeride weapon.

This board was designed to be a powerful and responsive ride that rewards the technically sound rider with crisp performance. I've been a Snoqualmie local for life and am no stranger to variable conditions. The day I rode the XV was no exception. It hadn't snowed in several days so conditions were firm and fast. Rossi employed a unique profile in this board called CamRock. It features 60% traditional camber underfoot for pop and precision. This board has some serious ollie power! I felt like Super Mario when loading up to pop off rollers and side hits. Okey-doke! The other 40% of the profile is a highly enunciated rocker nose that begins right at the contact points. The nose is much stiffer than the tail, something that is atypical of most freeride boards. Having a stiff nose with that much rocker really allowed me to put my weight on the front foot and charge over uneven terrain. I love that the tail on this directional board is a little softer and more forgiving to help with butters and landings on big drops. 

The shape of this board is truly what sold me on it. The XV just looks aggressive from tip to tail. I noticed that even though it is highly directional, the tapered tail makes riding switch pretty easy. Definitely not as nimble as a true twin, but the balance between aggression and playfulness meet in perfect harmony with this deck. This is a very unique snowboard; there aren't many tapered freeride boards that have magnetraction edges. The additional points of contact made me feel extremely confident in my turning ability and really laying down deep carves on hardpack. Although the day we rode didn't have much in the way of powder, I feel like this board would be as much at home on a deep day as it was ripping groomers. The Rossignol XV Magtek is great for anyone who wants to experience Life In The Treez and Moments like these.


Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published